Sunday 17 October 2010

We play - shapes






Inspired by some ideas from E's classmates who were studying 3 dimensional forms as part of their maths curriculum I decided to introduce this idea to the girls. To start we made playdough. Reviewing the photos, I see that rainbow or bright colours would have looked far more appealing, but this playdough was made with cocoa and designed to appeal to the senses. It smelled divine. Anyway, we rolled the playdough in tiny balls and used toothpicks as the lines to make our geometric shapes. We made cubes, pyramids and rectangular and triangular prisms and explored how geometric forms as opposed to organic forms follow specific rules. (That's the great thing about learning at home - I'm learning all the time too). E conveyed her enthusiasm for the task when she suggested that I tell the other homeschooling mums we know about this activity. To complement our study of 2 D shapes for our kinder and grade one girls - we played with A's childhood tangrams (kindly sent in one of the many parcels from my mum) we made shape pictures with coloured paper shape cut outs, made a powerpoint about shapes in the everyday world and played a shapes' computer game on cbeebies. They are still playing it. Your little ones can find it at - http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/#/lb/misc/shapestore

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mellie,
    I love reading what you are all doing and it sounds so very fun!! We have done this with the kids using peas! very messy!!;-)

    Can you give me the recipe of the cocoa playdough you used? We are focusing on our senses this term so would fit in perfectly!
    Have a great day, XXnal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I remembered you doing something with marshmallows too? That it what inspired me. This was fun to use. I've also tried just adding essential oils - whatver you have, even just peppermint or eucaplyptus. Not as fun as cocoa though. :) I've posted the recipe for you under recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a list of thing to do with my kids, and I have recorded spaghetti and marsh-mellow structure building that mimics this- just without the cocoa scent, and possible sugar intake.
    Recently my 6 y.o. came home from school exclaiming that, "Triangles are everywhere!'

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great hands-on way to create learning.

    ReplyDelete