Monday 4 October 2010

Chicken anyone?


This is a photo of our local chicken shop. Okay, so we have never been inside but it is at the corner near our compound and right next to the traffic lights - so we see it often. Truthfully, it makes me a little uncomfortable as it sells chickens to eat - live! I have often tried to be vague, evasive, when the girls ask me questions about their meat and where it comes from. Tonight at dinner, when presented with roast chicken on the table (purchased clinically at the supermarket) my 3 year old asked "mum, how do you think they killed the chicken?" I was a little hesitant and tried to distract her so as not to draw everybody's attention at the table to her comments, when she answered herself concluding it was probably with a stick "yes, they killed the chicken with a stick". So, I'm guessing I no longer need to delicately skirt around this issue. Perhaps they have picked up on more than I thought living here. We did notice a goat in the desert paddock once near our house being taken live off the ute (yes this is a very popular car here) to be slaughtered by hand ready for the family feast. My distaste and disdain for this practice as it seems so primitive is slowly waning as I grow more comfortable (or at least I think I should be) with it. I'm now glad that my girls are aware of where all their food comes from and can begin to make this choice for themselves. It seems part of our first world culture where we seperate our food and its origin (or clothes or products for that matter) to allow us to live as we please without guilt. So, we literally make ourselves and our environment sick by consuming only the best part of the meat in extravagant portions when if we ate less we would benefit ourselves and the environment...I really do spend a lot of time in traffic, at that corner staring at the chicken shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment