Friday 3 September 2010

The Rocky Cliffs of Oman






Oman's scenery is unique. Here, along the coast the cliffs are beautiful and reminiscent of other dramatic coasts around the world. Inland, it is unusual to me, as the mountain ranges are pure rock with little greenery. Apparently in the right season and the right conditions the wadis (valley or dry riverbeds) fill up and around these oasis were built the towns of the modern and the ancient worlds. We were not quite so lucky - despite even witnessing rain. Our first and possibly last time for months. This desert land was beautiful to us, especially in comparison with Qatar as it had depth and shade and hints of colour.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mel,

    Love your blog, you are giving me a tremendous description of Quatar and if I close my eyes I feel I am transported there. You write so wonderfully well, have you ever thought about doing more in this area?

    Good luck with the home schooling and a big kiss and congrats to Ella for snorkeling, I myself have a big fear of water, I am fine in a pool but get me in open spaces and I cannot go past my knees.

    I will make sure I get onto your blog so I can see what is happening. The pictures of everyone and the scenery are wonderful to see. Keep them coming !!

    My love to you all.

    Jessie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessie, Thanks for taking the time to write and your kind words. Yes, we were proud of Ella for snorkeling - I'm not completely confident in water so it is tricky to try and encourage someone else to overcome fears. Glad you will be able to keep in touch with us this way. Love Mel x

    ReplyDelete