Tuesday 21 September 2010

The Greatest Among us Serve



One of the confronting realities of life here, and much of this region, is the very obvious servant class. I was reminded of this yesterday when my charming girls adapted their favourite dramatic game of “Mums and Dads” into a new game of “Servants and Bosses”. I was a little bemused when I realised that crying and fighting had erupted over who could play the “servant”. Apparently, to them this was the most prized role. I’m only guessing that this is perhaps because this role actually involved more action and doing rather than the bosses who were merely sitting on the couch watching. Boring! - to my 3 active girls. I was considering interrupting them to instruct them that this was silly, as obviously the “real goal” in life was to be the boss!
I do love to just let them play (so I can do my own thing and sometimes I love to listen or watch. They have always been children who love to play imaginative and dramatic games – with little or no props. I have loved watching them here with very few toys just adapt what they have around them – a few boxes and the everyday ordinary items we need to live – saucepans, cups, shopping bags etc. And only occasionally do I “interfere” with some suggestions or new props, as mostly they have better ideas than me anyway. But, today I couldn’t resist teaching them of something which most of their lives they will be “taught” the opposite. I did intervene to explain that this world is mostly made up of servants and in reality there are very few bosses. But, more importantly I explained, that there is eternal value and honour in being someone who serves.
I took these photos of the typical maid’s uniform for sale at the supermarkets here which is worn by thousands of invisible women at the malls, at restaurants, hotels, homes, everywhere - unnoticed and disregarded these women, many who leave their own children behind, thousands of miles away, and for years, attend to the needs of children far wealthier than they could ever dream to be.(FYI - the maids here are imported like cattle on two year contracts to work all day (and sometimes night), six days a week for often as low as $400 a month. Too often they are treated badly, abused, and at best - like they are lucky to be here compared to the poverty that awaits them in India, Ethiopia and the Philipines.)
I pray my children, however young, are learning the right lessons about injustice and about being servant leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment