Monday 30 August 2010

Headwear - Omani style






I am always fascinated by the style, fashion and dress of the Middle East. So far, my favourite for men is definitely Omani headwear. The "kuma" is a small round cap which delicately rests on the head, the other is of a turban style where a scarf is wrapped around the kuma. The men here all wear these for every occasion and they vary slighly in shade or design. They are worn with thobes, mainly in white but unlike Doha, here an occasional daring rogue seemed to boldy venture into other muted shades of browns and greys. It is safe to say, and myself included, that Australians know very little about Qatar. Before I came to the only country in the world which begins with a Q, the most asked question I had was whether I had to cover my hair. Definitely not in Doha as it is such a cosmopolitan city with over half the population from somwhere else. However, in the smaller, less explored areas of Nizwa, Oman it seemed like a good idea - especially during this holy month of Ramadan when we are encouraged to dress more conservatively. As you can see Ella loves any excuse for sparkle or dress ups and adopted this scarf for a skirt and later a headscarf. The locals seem to adore her attempts to dress more like them. (Just slightly more colourful!)

No comments:

Post a Comment