Monday 30 August 2010

The Art of Henna





We all loved this. I had been promising for ages that during Ramadan we would find somewhere to have henna tattoos. I remember I had this done here a few years ago and the next morning Ella, at 3, had covered herself in permanent marker to copy the envious designs on my hand. It is an ancient form of tattoo (temporary) dating back thousands of years which uses a crushed up powder from the henna shrub leaves (one of the few plant varieties to grow around here I am sure). It creates a rich mahogany paste which dries and fades to a terracotta tattoo for weeks. It is very popular in this region as it is in India. It is particularly used for women and celebrations such as weddings etc. We have Eid coming up to celebrate the end of Ramadan so the girls and I relished the opportunity to have our hands and feet decorated.

No comments:

Post a Comment