Wednesday 24 November 2010

Papier Mache Globe



When we first arrived here and we were housebound because of the heat I did not know where to begin with the girls so I spent countless hours researching various options, theories and philosphies about learning at home. I knew I loved the freedom of "unschooling" and the opportunites it provides to learn and explore real life experiences and concepts in context and based on what interested or was relevant for the moment. So, based on the girls endless questions trying to understand why it is nightime in Melbourne and daytime on this side of the world and Winter in Melbourne and Summer in Doha, we decided to explore the earth and the sun and moon. We made papier mache glue, ripped up piles of newspapers and got to work. This was one of the messiest activities I have ever done so there isn't any pictures of the process as the girls stripped down to their underpants as they slided and rolled around our tiled floor. A and I also both love maps so we loved introducing the girls to the continents - which suddenly makes more sense when you have moved to the other side of the world.

1 comment:

  1. I just showed your post to my students. They are excited to start a globe making project of their own.

    ReplyDelete